[Insert Agent’s Logo] - TEMPLATE FOR DISCLOSURE BROCHURE TO BE PROVIDED AND/OR POSTED BY LENDING INSTITUTIONS, REAL ESTATE AND INSURANCE AGENTS
Flood Hazard: Check Before You Buy
Coastal properties are subject to flooding and wind damage from hurricanes. The Village of Key is within a floodplain area and is subject to flooding.
If you’re looking at a property, it’s a good idea to check out the possible flood hazard before you buy. Here’s why:
- The force of moving water or waves can destroy a building.
- Slow-moving floodwaters can knock people off their feet or float a car.
- Even standing water can float a building, collapse basement walls, or buckle a concrete floor.
- Water-soaked contents, such as carpeting, clothing, upholstered furniture, and mattresses, may have to be thrown away after a flood.
- Some items, such as photographs and heirlooms, may never be restored to their original condition.
- Floodwaters are not clean: floods carry mud, farm chemicals, road oil, and other noxious substances that cause health hazards.
- Flooded buildings breed mold and other problems if they are not repaired quickly and properly.
- The impact of a flood—cleaning up, making repairs, and the personal losses—can cause great stress to you, your family, and your finances.
Floodplain Regulations: The Village of Key Biscayne regulates construction and development in the floodplain to ensure that buildings will be protected from flood damage. Filling and similar projects are prohibited in certain areas. Houses substantially damaged by fire, flood, or any other cause must be elevated to or above the regulatory flood level when they are repaired. More information can be obtained from Chief Building Official, Eugenio M. Santiago, PE, in the Department of Building, Zoning and Planning at the Village Hall between the hours of 7:30 AM and 3:30 PM, via email at email@example.com or online at the Public Info - National Flood Insurance Program/Community Rating System (NFIP/CRS) webpage.
Check for a Flood Hazard: Before you commit yourself to buying property be aware that the Village of Key Biscayne islocated within a special flood hazard area. Flood insurance is required by the national flood insurance program.
- The Village of Key Biscayne is in a floodplain, is subject to flooding and is subject to sewer backup.
- Ask the Village Department of Building, Zoning and Planning what the flood depth, velocity, and warning time are; if it is subject to any other hazards; and what building or zoning regulations are in effect.
Flood Protection: A building can be protected from most flood hazards, sometimes at a relatively low cost. New buildings and additions can be elevated above flood levels. Existing buildings can be protected from shallow floodwaters by regrading, berms, or floodwalls. There are other retrofitting techniques that can protect a building from surface or subsurface water.
Flood Insurance: Homeowners insurance usually does not include coverage for a flood. One of the best protection measures for a building with a flood problem is a flood insurance policy under the National Flood Insurance Program, which can be purchased through any licensed property insurance agent. Since the Village is located is in a floodplain; flood insurance will be required by most federally backed mortgage lenders. Ask an insurance agent how much a flood insurance policy would cost.